Great Lakes Bushcraft Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berkey Sport Water Filter

5 posters

Go down

Berkey Sport Water Filter Empty Berkey Sport Water Filter

Post by Gurthy Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:33 pm

I've re-visited the water issue a time or two in my head since the March outing. I typically carry 2-3 quarts of water for a day trip, which is 4-6 pounds. I like my MSR microfilter but it's relatively heavy and requires regular maintenance...it's OK for overnighters or longer trips but is inconvenient on day trips (which is what I mostly do). I forgot that I had a Berkey Sport bottle stashed in the closet until I was doing a bit of spring cleaning, and I think it may be the answer I'm looking for.

It removes both bacteria and chemicals. It doesn't remove viruses but that isn't something I'm too worried about in MI... and a purification tab would take care of that easy enough. It lasts for 120 refills in questionable water (about a year or two for my use) before needing a new element. It requires virtually no maintenance. It is a squeeze bottle so you can filter water for cooking or whatever too. I paid about $17 shipped for mine (screaming deal!) but they can commonly found for $20-25 shipped.

From one seller:
The Sport Berkey® Portable Water Purifier Eliminates or Reduces up to 99.9% of:

* Unpleasant taste and odors, cloudiness, silt, sediment and chlorine.
* Toxic chemicals: Trihalomethanes, VOCs, detergents, pesticides, etc.
* Harmful microscopic pathogens: Cryptosporidium, Giardia, E-coli >99.99999% and other pathogenic bacteria.
* Heavy metals: Aluminum, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper, Lead, and Mercury.
* Radiologicals: Radon 222

The downsides that I've found so far:
-can be damaged by freezing
-the bottle is only 22oz
-it would be a lot of work to squeeze filter a lot of water... a pump or gravity filter would be better

I've tested it a couple times and am pleased... so far not problems, easy to use and good tasting water! Best of all I only carry 1 quart of water and this bottle! Here is a shot from yesterday's outing:

Berkey Sport Water Filter 0d4c285b

Anyways, there has been lots of discussion here about water treatment so I thought I'd offer up what I've found in case it's useful to somebody.
Gurthy
Gurthy
Basic Firestarter
Basic Firestarter

http://gurthysbushcraft.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Berkey Sport Water Filter Empty Re: Berkey Sport Water Filter

Post by Jeff "LFB" Kindy Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for the review. Looks like a good option for day trips and the like.
Jeff
Jeff "LFB" Kindy
Admin
Admin

http://www.greatlakesbushcraft.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathan Maloch Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks for the review. I have been looking at filters since march as well. I think I will try and purchase a water bottle type as it seems to be the most versitile.
Mathan Maloch
Mathan Maloch
Basic Firestarter
Basic Firestarter

Back to top Go down

Post by ole scout Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:53 am

Yes Thanks as a filter is at the top of my list also .
ole scout
ole scout
Tinder Gatherer
Tinder Gatherer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff "LFB" Kindy Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 am

Be careful with the water bottle types. Most of them are only designed to remove the chlorine "taste" from TAP water. So read the label.

I have purchased the Aquamira Frontier Pro Tactical (Army) model. All of the Pro's are the same filter, except the army model comes with a heavy duty ziplock bag. The other models come with a smaller bag that the hose does not fit well in. So for the same price get the Army model.

Berkey Sport Water Filter $(KGrHqEOKpgE3uW+oQ7dBOGVpU,ol!~~_35

This is the one that screws onto a pop bottle, can be used as a gravity filter or hooked directly to a bladder. Dave sells them for $19.99! It filters 50 gallons of water, not a whole lot but for the price, weight and size it can't be beat!

Pathfinder School link
Jeff
Jeff "LFB" Kindy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gurthy Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 am

Jeff "LFB" Kindy wrote:Be careful with the water bottle types. Most of them are only designed to remove the chlorine "taste" from TAP water. So read the label.
Good point, there are a lot of useless bottle filters in the box stores. The one I am using has a Berkey black filter which makes it a "purifier" so it's good to go Wink

Jeff "LFB" Kindy wrote:I have purchased the Aquamira Frontier Pro Tactical (Army) model. All of the Pro's are the same filter, except the army model comes with a heavy duty ziplock bag. The other models come with a smaller bag that the hose does not fit well in. So for the same price get the Army model.

Berkey Sport Water Filter $(KGrHqEOKpgE3uW+oQ7dBOGVpU,ol!~~_35

This is the one that screws onto a pop bottle, can be used as a gravity filter or hooked directly to a bladder. Dave sells them for $19.99! It filters 50 gallons of water, not a whole lot but for the price, weight and size it can't be beat!

Pathfinder School link

I have that filter in one of my bags... it's a good piece of kit. Captain Jeff was using one at the 15 piece outing IIRC and he liked it.
Gurthy
Gurthy
Basic Firestarter
Basic Firestarter

http://gurthysbushcraft.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff "LFB" Kindy Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:43 am

Yes the Berkey's are all good to go. I just wanted others to know to read the label before purchasing. Even some of the Pure's are just for tap water.

Yes CApt Jeff had one, that's why I bought mine to be honest.
Jeff
Jeff "LFB" Kindy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mathan Maloch Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm

I was looking at some at an outfittes from nalgene, and I read the label. It was exactly as you said, it only removed the chlorine or other tastes from the water. I will be boiling again this trip as I did not pick up a filter, BUT I will be bringing something to hold a lot more water in so I dont have to make so many trips.
Mathan Maloch
Mathan Maloch
Basic Firestarter
Basic Firestarter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff "LFB" Kindy Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm

I wil be bringing my Katadyn Hiker
Jeff
Jeff "LFB" Kindy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CJS Knives (Captain Jeff) Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:48 pm

yea i was very happy with the results i got form the Aquamira Frontier Pro! it worked great at the 15 item camp!

i too have the Hiker Pro, i only use that for long term camping trips. i carry the Aquamira on my hikes, and short term camping trips.

like all filter systems, make sure you clean them out after you are home from camping. the bacteria in the filter can grow and cause some problems if left alone. a few drops of chlorine ran through the filter takes care of any left over bacteria.
CJS Knives (Captain Jeff)
CJS Knives (Captain Jeff)
Basic Firestarter
Basic Firestarter

http://www.cjsknives.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down